Time left to compete
INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND VISUAL DESIGN COMPETITION
Photography is not mere documentation of reality. Quite the contrary, it always involves its transformation. Through the photographic process’ filter, the world becomes something completely different: an image. Keeping this fact as a starting point, photography can be used to represent something that does not exist yet or to produce something completely new, starting from a real and identifiable subject. Right at the start of the new millennia, this process becomes possible thanks to photo correction softwares, but the same effect can be achieved with the use of pure photographic grammar. This art form has, in fact, a transformative nature: far from the diffused stereotype, photography is not a way to tell the truth, but it gives shape and matter to an interpretation of reality.
For this competition, participants are required to present a photographic project that has to be consistent with this concept. Instead of opening a window onto the world, photography must be used as a mirror, reflecting the author’s thought, vision and fantasy.
A piece of work developing the proposed theme, including from a minimum of one to a maximum of 20 photographic images. The piece is to be accompanied by a text of a maximum length of one page (1800 characters), describing the work presented. The project may be submitted as a hard copy or on digital media (CD, DVD, USB flash drive, with the files saved in pdf format).
Candidates are also required to submit:
- Personal portfolio of works and projects
- Detailed curriculum vitae
- Motivation statement
- Copy of Bachelor Degree/Academic diploma translated into English/Italian
- Academic transcript/marksheet of previous studies, translated into English/Italian, listing subjects and exams, with corresponding number of hours/credits;
- Copy of passport;
- NABA Master Programs Application Form – Academic Year 2020/21* (download)
* The application fee is waived for competition participants
AUDIENCE & ELIGIBILITY
The competition is open to candidates willing to approach the world of photography, arts, national and international communication and combine a solid historical and cultural base with highly developed technical and practical skills necessary for success in national and international markets.
Candidates holding a first-level academic diploma or BA degree, or about to graduate within the academic year 2019/20 and with a knowledge of the Italian/English language (according to the medium of instruction of the program) equal to a complete B1 Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (IELTS 5.0 or equivalent for English programs).
Projects will be evaluated and selected by the Faculty of the Academic Master in Photography and Visual Design and the Admissions Jury.
HOW CAN I SUBSCRIBE TO THIS INITIATIVE?
Candidates are asked to send their materials in English or Italian and in two files in PDF format: one including the competition project and one including the remaining materials.
You can upload your materials by clicking the button below:
Or materials can be sent by email to:
When you submit your application, you will receive a confirmation within 48 hours that your submission was received. If you do not receive a confirmation, let us know at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- April 24th 2020 – Deadline for submitting complete application documents and competition project;
- May 8th 2020 – Communication of results to participants;
- May 15th 2020 – Deadline for winners to enroll in the Academic Master Program in Photography and Visual Design
The three best projects will be awarded a scholarship for partial coverage of the tuition fee to attend the Academic Master in Photography and Visual Design starting in September 2020:
- 1st prize: 1 scholarship covering 50% of the tuition fee to attend the Academic Master;
- 2nd prize: 1 scholarship covering 40% of the tuition fee to attend the Academic Master;
- 3rd prize: 1 scholarship covering 30% of the tuition fee to attend the Academic Master;
Prizes will be calculated on the standard tuition fee amounting to:
- €15.000 for EU passport holders (Graduation Thesis Fee is not included)
- €19.000 for non-EU passport holders (Graduation Thesis Fee is not included)
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Every moral or paternity right as to the project remains property of the author.
- The projects sent to NABA will not be returned.
- NABA is entitled not to award the scholarship if the projects are deemed not to meet the suitable standards defined by the jury. The jury will judge at its own discretion and its decision is final.
- The scholarships referred to in this competition announcement cannot be combined with DSU scholarships or other economic grants offered by NABA.
- The scholarship will be deducted from the balance of the tuition fee.
- If the candidate does not confirm the acceptance of the prize, the scholarship can be transferred to the next candidate in the ranking list.
- The scholarship will be no longer applicable in case the student: does not enrol to NABA within the deadline set out by the competition announcement; renounces to attend university or demands to be transferred to another Academy/ University; incurs in more serious disciplinary penalties than written reprimand for infractions against NABA.
- Awarded prizes cannot be deferred to future intakes of the program or to a different program.
- Selected participants accept that part of their work will be published on Websites and/or Social Media channels of the institutions involved.