Time left to compete
INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND VISUAL DESIGN COMPETITION
Since its début in the world of media, photography has built multiple and fruitful relationships with various artistic disciplines, such as painting, architecture, literature, cinema and music… Examples include the narratives of the work of Sophie Calle or the work of Boris Mikhailov, who draws on his prints, or Thomas Demand, who combines photography with sculpture, playing on references between images and three-dimensional models. In these examples, the materials do not constitute the mere theme of the photography and the photographs do not depict architecture or paintings through the lens, but combine with the same on a deeper structural level, altering specificity and purpose. The perception of photography as a single, distinct discipline has fallen by the wayside, in favour of new conceptual and material interactions: the limits of photography have become unstable boundaries and other disciplines are now included within the same to form a composite language. The resulting interdisciplinarity is the outcome of this network of integration and synergy. Photography is no longer alone.
A piece of work developing the proposed theme, including from a minimum of one to a maximum of 20 photographic images. The piece is to be accompanied by a text of a maximum length of one page (1800 characters), describing the work presented. The project may be submitted as a hard copy or on digital media (CD, DVD, USB flash drive, with the files saved in pdf format).
Candidates are also required to submit:
- Personal portfolio of works and projects
- Detailed curriculum vitae
- Motivation statement
- Copy of Bachelor Degree/Academic diploma translated into English/Italian
- Academic transcript/marksheet of previous studies, translated into English/Italian, listing subjects and exams, with corresponding number of hours/credits;
- Copy of passport;
- NABA Master Programs Application Form – Academic Year 2019/2020
* Application fee is waived for competition participants
AUDIENCE & ELIGIBILITY
The competition is open to candidates willing to approach the world of photography, arts, national and international communication and combine a solid historical and cultural base with highly developed technical and practical skills necessary for success in national and international markets.
Are eligible candidates holding a first-level academic diploma or BA degree, or about to graduate within the academic year 2018/19 and with a knowledge of the Italian/English language (according to the medium of instruction of the program) equal to a complete B1 Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (IELTS 5.0 or equivalent for English programs).
Projects will be evaluated and selected by the Faculty of the Master in Photography and Visual Design and the Admissions Jury.
HOW CAN I SUBSCRIBE TO THIS INITIATIVE?
Candidates are asked to send their materials in English or Italian and in two files in PDF format: one including the competition project and one including the remaining materials.
You can upload your materials by clicking the button below:
Or materials can be sent by email to:
When you submit your application, you will receive a confirmation within 48 hours that your submission was received. If you do not receive a confirmation, let us know at: [email protected]
- May 10th 2019 – Deadline for submitting complete application documents and competition project;
- May 30th 2019 – Communication of results to participants;
- June 7h 2019 – Deadline for winners to enrol in the Academic Master Program in Photography and Visual Design
The five best projects will be awarded a scholarship for partial coverage of the tuition fee to attend the Academic Master in Photography and Visual Design starting in September 2019:
- 1st prize: 1 scholarship covering 60% of the tuition fee to attend the Academic Master;
- 2nd prize: 1 scholarship covering 50% of the tuition fee to attend the Academic Master;
- 3rd prize: 1 scholarship covering 40% of the tuition fee to attend the Academic Master;
- 2 special mentions covering 20% of the tuition fee to attend the Academic Master.
Prizes will be calculated on the standard tuition fee amounting to:
- €13.950 for EU passport holders (Graduation Thesis Fee is not included)
- €17.950 for non-EU passport holders (Graduation Thesis Fee is not included)
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Every moral or paternity right as to the project remains property of the author.
- The projects sent to NABA will not be returned.
- NABA is entitled not to award the scholarship if the projects are deemed not to meet the suitable standards defined by the jury. The jury will judge at its own discretion and its decision is final.
- The scholarships referred to in this competition announcement cannot be combined with DSU scholarships or other economic grants offered by NABA.
- The scholarship will be deducted from the balance of the tuition fee.
- If the candidate does not confirm the acceptance of the prize, the scholarship can be transferred to the next candidate in the ranking list.
- The scholarship will be no longer applicable in case the student: does not enrol to NABA within the deadline set out by the competition announcement; renounces to attend university or demands to be transferred to another Academy/ University; incurs in more serious disciplinary penalties than written reprimand for infractions against NABA.
- Awarded prizes cannot be deferred to future intakes of the program or to a different program.
- Selected participants accept that part of their work will be published on Websites and/or Social Media channels of the institutions involved.